Serve Day 2017
We are so excited to let you know that our 2nd annual Serve Day will be taking place on Saturday, May 13th. Our goal for this day is to get people of all ages working together for the good of our city. Serve Day provides us a chance to help several of our valued ministry partners in a variety of tangible, significant ways. In turn, this enables us to be a blessing to the people whose lives are impacted by these organizations.
To get a taste of what this day will be like, take a look at this video:
Serve Day day will begin at 9:00 AM with a 30-minute opening rally at our Connors Hill church location. After we’ve had a chance to pray together and go over a few instructions, teams will head off to their sites.
Here is a brief summary of the projects in which we plan to engage on Serve Day:
- Tegler Youth Centre Clean-Up: This will involve cleaning and yard work at the Tegler Centre in Beverly. We also hope to recruit a few woodworkers who could help construct a sturdy ping pong table. In total, we will need roughly 20 people to help at this site. Team members will work alongside youth from the neighbourhood. Project Leaders: Melinda Daigle and Brittany Santos
- Mustard Seed Clothes Sorting: A team of roughly 25 people will help sort donated clothing at The Seed’s warehouse. Project Leader: Jud Stade
- Mustard Seed McCauley Community Garden Prep: We will send a group to the community garden in the McCauley neighbourhood. This team will work with the Mustard Seed to help prepare the garden—an important source of food and community building for people in this neighbourhood—for the planting season. Roughly 10 people are needed for this project. Project Leader: Katrina Martin [UPDATE: This project is now full. No additional volunteers are needed]
- Mustard Seed Neighbourhood Clean-Up: A total of 30 people will be divided into teams and send out into the neighbourhood around the Mustard Seed to help with neighbourhood clean-up. Project Leader: Logan Henry
- PALM Ministries Painting and Cleaning: A big goal at this site will be to paint the entry area of PALM’s Centre facility near downtown Edmonton (6 people needed). Roughly 6 people are needed to help move furniture and shampoo carpets. There will be some additional opportunities for cleaning inside and outside the Centre, as well (e.g., window washing, flower bed and yard cleanup, toy sterilization). In total, we hope to gather a group of 20 people to serve at this site. Project Leader: Levi Nigh
- Neighbour Centre Old Strathcona Clean-Up: Roughly 20 people are needed to work alongside Neighbour Centre representatives in picking up trash around the Old Strathcona neighbourhood. Project Leader: Larry Froese
- Millbourne Community Life Centre Yard Sale: MCLC is holding a neighbourhood-wide garage sale on the same day as our Serve Day. We would like to send volunteers from the church to assist with set-up and some other essential functions. A group of 6-8 people is needed to help with the yard sale. In addition, we are looking for 6-8 people to assist with a bike clinic we'll be holding on the MCLC grounds. Individuals with skills for repairing and/or decorating bikes are especially encouraged to sign up to help in this area. Project Leader: Jon Putz [UPDATE: We have enough volunteers for the yard sale; volunteers are still needed for the bike clinic]
- Terra Centre Cleaning, Painting, etc.: We will be looking for a group of 10-13 people to help out at the Terra Centre’s Brentwood House facility. This likely will include yard work and gardening, some painting, and organizing. PLEASE NOTE: This project is limited to participants who are teenagers or older. Project Leader: Sarah Nordstrom
Each of these projects will be coordinated by a project leader from Central, together with representatives from our partner organizations. Lunch will be provided at each site.
We hope that individuals, families, and GROUPS from across the life of our church will plan to join us on May 13th. Block out the day on your calendar! We will update you as additional projects are confirmed. Details about how to sign up will be available later this month.
This will be a great opportunity to serve others outside the walls of our church, to connect with people from across the life of the Central family, and to come away with a sense of accomplishment. You surely won’t want to miss out!
Here's a look at some of the exciting things that took place during Serve Day 2016: